This Recipe is from my native bengali cuisine.This recipe is perfect for a simple light lunch also.It is very easy to prepare.It is kind of one-pot meal which contains lots of vegetables and fish in one meal and you should have this with hot white rice. You can add any combinations of vegetables, whatever is available in your kitchen
Sweet water fish (Rohu, Katla)
Cauliflower : 1 medium size( Cut into medium pieces)
Potato : 1 or 2 of medium size(Cut lengthwise)
Broad Beans(Sim) : 7-8 pieces(cut into half)
Eggplant : 1 small size
Ginger : 1" piece (grated)
Green chilli : 1(chopped)
Tomato : 1(small-chopped)Bay Leave: 1 piece
Panch phoron : 1 tblsp. (a spice mixture of cumin seed, black cumin seed, mustard seed, fenugreek seed and fennel seed-mix in equal quantity)Turmeric Powder : 3-4 tsp
Masala powder: Saute in tawa without oil and grind it(1tsp.cumin seeds,1tsp.coriander seeds, 2pieces cloves,cardamom,cinnamon)
Salt to tasteSuger: 1 tsp.
Oil(preferably mustard oil) : 3-4 tblsp.
Fresh coriander leaves for garnishing.
- Clean fish and apply 1-2 tsp. of turmeric powder and 2-3 pinches of salt on each fish pieces. Keep aside for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut vegetables as mentioned or any way you want, it doesn’t matter.
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry fish pieces on medium heat until brown from both sides. Keep aside.
- Take another pan, heat 2 tblsp. of oil, add all the vegetables and with a pinch of salt and turmeric powder, stir fry for 2-3 minutes and remove from pan. In the same oil, add bay leave and panch phoron, when seeds change their color to deep brown and you get the aroma, add chopped tomato, grated ginger,chopped chilli.
- Then add masala powder,salt,suger and add this mixture when tomatoes turn soft. In medium flame, let the spice cook, when oil seperates, add the sauted vegetables. Mix well with spices. Then add about 1 and 1/2 cup of water. I prefer little bit thinner consistency of this curry, so add water as you like to have the consistency of the curry.
- When water starts to boil, add salt to taste and the fried fish pieces. In medium flame, let the curry simmer and vegetables are cooked(This is not a dry gravy dish). When vegetables are cooked and you have your desired consistency of gravy, remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve with hot plain rice....